July 5, 1908 - A Hot Day in the Tenement Districts
From "Newark and Its Leading Businessmen" 1891:
"The Hill," by which name is designated those portions of the Sixth and Thirteenth wards, occupying the elevated ground west of High Street, is distinctively the German section of the city. The evidence of the thrift, industry and intelligence of the population are apparent on every side. This is notably a settlement of small homes. In this section are also some large business establishments, including several tanneries, and six large breweries, one of which was recently sold to an English syndicate for $3,000,000.
Here are the principal parks, where the Germans of the city are wont to have their summer festivities, and the halls in which they hold their meetings and winter festivities. There are a number of large and handsome churches of all denominations here and several orphanages and charitable institutions.
|Copyright 1998 - 2020 Glenn G. Geisheimer|