From: "Harper's New Monthly Magazine, October 1876"
Wherever there is room, the Germans have gardens, and raise vegetables for the Newark market. At early dawn the women may be seen driving their one horse wagons into town. By-the-way, the Newark market is a curiosity. The building proper is constructed over the canal, east from Broad Street, the length of a block. The hucksters have their stands outside in Broad Street. Under a great shed to the right of the market building, the women, perched on high seats, with their wares carefully arranged about them, knit while their customers gather.
From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912
The public market is located in the very heart of the city, and while plans are now being discussed for its improvement, there is also some talk of its removal to a less expensive site, farther away from the business section of the city. The building is a two-story, narrow structure, running the entire length of a long block; and flanked on either side and on both ends by busy streets. In addition to a large open space which is given over to the use of market wagons and trucks from nearby and distant farm-lands, there is the long wide ground floor of the market, which is rented in big and little sections to dealers in meats, vegetables, fish and game and other food supplies. The upper floor is used by the market clerk.
From: "A History of the City of Newark" Lewis Historical Publishing Company
Centre Market was built in 1853/54 but the tower was declared unsafe in the early 1860's and removed. The tower served as the city's first fire alarm bell, which wighed 6,000 pounds. Watchmen were stationed in it to strike the alarm in case of a fire. When the tower was declared unsafe, the bell was relocated at Market, Arlington, Augusta & Nicholson Streets. The second floor of Centre Market held the city offices. The Common Council Chamber was brilliantly lighted by gas from two large chandeliers. The building and surrounding land cost a little less than $90,000.
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|