September 1, 1907 - Newark
Delegates to Letter Carriers' Convention
From: "Newark, the Metropolis of New Jersey" Published by the Progress Publishing Co. 1901
The site of the Federal Building, the northwest corner of Broad and Academy Streets, was chosen for the New Latin Grammar School in 1792, the first building having been burned by the British in the Revolutionary War. It was sold to the United States Government in 1855 for $50,000 and altered for use as Custom House and Post Office, was torn down in 1894 and the present fine stone edifice erected at a cost of a half million dollars. An $85,000 annex will be built soon.
The ground floor is used as the Post Office, as is also the old church building in the rear. Mr. James L. Hays, the well known real estate dealer and president of the New Jersey State Board of Education, is pOstmaster, and William F. Cyphers, Assistant Postmaster.
There are sixteen sub stations at various locations in the city for the sale of stamps, registry of letters and packages and issue of money orders. A most efficient and perfect system of letter delivery is in vogue, and while the needs of the citizens of Newark are fully supplied, the postal revenues are sufficient to show a handsome yearly balance of profit to the Government.
The Custom Office is located upstairs in the Federal Building and is open from 9 o'clock A. M. to 4 o'clock P. M. daily for the transaction of customs business.
The Lawyer's Club have their law library in the Federal Building, and the chambers of the United States District Court are also located on the upper floors.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|