Newark Daily Advance
April 29, 1861

Departure of the 1st Regiment
Great Excitement -- The Streets thronged to excess.

The 1st Regiment, New Jersey Volunteers leave this city to-day for the rendezvous at Trenton, thence to proceed probably to Washington. Their departure has been made the occasion of one of those popular ovations that sometimes occur in our city and the demonstration to-day probably surpasses any ever before witnessed in our city. Flags are flying in every direction, and everything is excitement. Throughout the entire day the streets have been thronged to excess, and persons remained standing at various points for hours in order to have a glimpse of the gallant soldiers, who to-day left our city to defend their country against treason and rebellion, and if need to lay down their lives for that object.

During Saturday and yesterday, the shoes, blankets and uniforms were distributed to the men, and many "blue coats" were seen last evening in the seats of the sanctuary - some of their wearers perhaps listening to sermons from their pastors for the last time. They were accompanied by their female relatives and attracted much attention. During the afternoon they assembled at their armories, and were engaged in preparing everything for their departure today.

At 5 o'clock this morning the companies began to appear on the Park, and notwithstanding the early hour a large concourse of friends collected to see them. After some time spent in drilling, they were dismissed at 7 o'clock for breakfast until 10 o'clock, when they again assembled on the Park in full uniform. A knapsack and haversack were then distributed to each man from wagons previously driven there. The knapsacks were made by Messrs. Peddie and Morrison, whose hands were at work all day yesterday to get them completed. As each company received their knapsacks they marched away to another part of the park and packed them.

Some of the companies had muskets with them, which were to be taken to Trenton and placed in the arsenal. All of the volunteers will be fitted out there with new muskets.

The scene at this time was one of great excitement and confusion, and withal affecting. Here night be seen a mother parting with her son; there a wife and husband separating, she with loving care adjusting his regimentals, to that he might appear to the best advantage, while he received the attentions with additional willingness; yonder were a brother and sister speaking adieux; in still another place was a father, brother or friend, pressing into the hands of a soldier a revolver, with which he might possibly, if occasion offered, preserve (his) life. Tears flowed freely on both sides, but amidst all the sorrow there was still rejoicing - that our city could furnish so many to battle for the right.

The Park at this time was surrounded by a dense mass of human beings, numbered by thousands. A strong force of Police was stationed at the gates and excluded all but soldiers, firemen and a few friends, whose urgent entreaties to see their relatives even the officers could not resist.

The Fire Department, under Chief Engineer Soden, had turned out to escort the military, and with their red shirts and black pants presented a pleasing contrast to the blue suits of the Volunteers. As the various companies passed the Firemen they were greeted with cheers.

At last the knapsack and haversack were given to the last soldier, the blankets were strapped upon the knapsack, and the whole fastened to the soldiers' backs, and everything being ready, the order was given to "fall in," and headed by Rubsam's Band, and escorted and flanked by the Fire Department, the Regiment marched out of the Park, up Broad St., through Washington Place, and down Washington St. to the High School - followed by the concourse of people, who completely blocked the streets from New to Washington St's., besides filling all the house tops and windows overlooking the scene.

The school was trimmed with flags and presented a fine appearance. The scholars were arranged around a platform erected in Linden St. The regiment being drawn up on Washington St., Mr. Geo. B. Sears, City Superintendent of Schools, advanced and presented the flag with the following remarks

During the lapse of ages and centuries as they have passed (____) (____) (__) (__) the earth. On this occasion it is becoming that woman should present this standard, and that it should also come from a free school. To the young all the hopes of the future are before them, and as they are about to merge from this school, a dark cloud comes over them. They say to their brethren, "Shall this cloud settle down and crush our hope's?" I hear you say today "No." I have no fears to-day when I see these men sustained by their mothers and sisters at home. Let this flag speak. There is more eloquence in it to a soldier that human tongues can express. In this cause you have nothing to fear. With the influence of those you leave behind you, you have nothing to fear. They would gladly accompany you but your valor prevents it. Their prayers will ever be for your safety.

In the name of the ladies of the High School, I present to you this flag. Take it, and let not traitor ever find shelter under its folds. [Applause.] If this Regiment should fail, never let the flag be dishonored. Let it never return til you have done your all to sustain the thirty-four stars represented on it.

Dr. J. J. CRAVEN, Surgeon of the Regiment, received the flag and said

Ladies In behalf of the First Regiment I thank you for this beautiful flag and we promise you it shall be defended. Perhaps it may be torn and soiled in the conflict, but never shall it be dishonored. Your have promised us your prayers. O how much good they will do us! And now we bid you good bye with the only gift a soldier can give you - God bless you.

The children then sang "Hail Columbia" and the regiment gave three cheers and presented arms, the band playing the "Star Spangled Banner." The regiment then marched to Market St. and thence to Broad and back to the Park.

The flag is 6 feet 6 inches long, 6 feet deep, made of heavy silk with silk tassels and lace. It was made by Madame Harrlott, 128 Broad St., at a cost of over $80, contributed by the teachers and present and former pupils of the school through the efforts of Miss Chase, the female principal. The thanks of the School are tendered to Mr. George Wurtz for his aid in procuring the staff, and to others who have lent their assistance.