|VFW Post 712|
In the year of 1920, a group of Veterans of World War 1 decided that it would be proper to form a Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in the Ironbound Section in honor of the boys of this section that had made the supreme sacrifice for our Country.
These Veterans along with the untiring efforts of John Mulligan, then Department Commander of the State of New Jersey assisted by J. Butler, then Essex County Council Commander, started the ground work for the formation of a Post in our neighborhood.
On February 8th, 1921, organization was started and on April 21st 1921, the Post was mustered and chartered into the Veterans of. Foreign, Wars Organization, duly signed and ordered by Robert C. Woodside, then Commander-in-Chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
In the selection of a proper name for the Post to be established in the Ironbound Section, James W. Hennessey with the ingredients of being Irish-American and of Down-Neck heritage was chosen to be the standard bearer of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post representing the Ironbound Section.
Sgt. James W. Hennessey was born October 20th, 1894 at 300 Elm Street, Newark. He attended Saint James Parochial School. When World War 1 was declared, he being of patriotic calibre, answered his country's call. He embarked, as a Corporal from Fort Dix, New Jersey with Company "B“ of the 312th Infantry Battalion. The 312th fought valiantly on several fronts in France and then on October 21st, 1918 Sgt. James W. Hennessey fell mortally wounded. He was awarded posthumously the ‘Distinguished Service Cross “. In 1921, his body was returned to the City of Newark and then laid to rest in Holy Sepulcher Cemetery, where each and every Memorial Day, members of the Post pay homage to him with Memorial services.
Our Post now known as The Sgt. James W. Hennessey, Post #712 V. F. W., Chartered April 21st, 1921, signed by twenty-seven veterans listed herewith
In 1940, the Post purchased its present location at 40 Barbara Street, Newark. After extensive alterations and hard work on the part of the older members, you can see the results of their labors when you see our Post Home as it stands today. Many older members look back with pride when they see the work that they have accomplished.
In 1952, the Sgt. J. W. Hennessey Post established a record as being the largest Post in the State of New Jersey.
In 1953, Blood Bank Chairman, Ed Staugaitis established a record of a pint of blood per day. A record breaking 368 pints were recorded.
In 1968, the Post was awarded its Perpetual Charter by the National Organization signifying Twenty-Five Life Members. In years to come, we, who are now active member will endeavor to hit new horizons so that at our future anniversaries we can add to this History.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|