From: "Industries of New Jersey: 1882
The Sunday Call, Office, No. 194 Market Street. — Among the newspapers edited and published in Newark, The Sunday Call may be specially mentioned as one that stands first in circulation and second to none in every respect of journalistic excellence. This well-known, widely read, and influential Sunday paper was established originally by Frank F. Patterson in May 1872. In 1873 Messrs. Hunt & Abeel became the proprietors, but they did not continue long, Mr. Patterson repurchasing the establishment from them and subsequently, in September 1873, disposing of it to Messrs. Ure & Schoch, who have since continued to successfully conduct the paper.
The office is centrally located on the second floor of the marble building No. 194 Market Street, is 25x80 feet in size, and is conveniently divided into a business office and editorial rooms. The composing rooms are on the third floor and the press room in a spacious basement, where a four-cylinder Hoe press is used. The Sunday Call is a sixty-four column eight-page weekly journal, printed on a sheet 37x52 inches, and is published every Sunday morning. It has been growing steadily in public favor under its present enterprising management and its circulation is constantly on the increase, so that now it issues over 11,000 copies each edition, which is an exceptionally large circulation for a Sunday newspaper so near the metropolis. It circulates largely throughout the city and the neighboring towns and villages, thus making it an excellent advertising medium.
Its subscription price is $2.50 per year and single copies are sold at five cents each. Its editorial articles are well and ably written, its local columns show a careful collation of news matter, graphically treated by competent reporters, its tone is dignified yet freely outspoken, and its entire make-up highly creditable and of the first order. The Call is devoted to no political party or clique but is fearless and independent in the treatment of all public matters. The proprietors and publishers of this excellent journal are Mr. William A. Ure and Mr. James W. Schoch. Mr, Ure is a live, progressive businessman, a clever writer, and in every respect qualified by practical experience for his important duties. Mr. Schoch is an Ohio man, who came to Newark nearly a quarter of a century ago, and for a period of nearly twenty-one years was connected with the Newark Daily Journal. He is practical in all departments of the business. The firm is a strong one in ability and qualifications, and a brilliant future is still in store for The Call if the same straightforward, honorable course is pursued and the same energy and perseverance shown.
From "Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897":
The Sunday Call was first published in May, 1872 and a little more than a year later it became the property of William A Ure and James W. Schoch. Their capital was principally their indefatigable labor, their knowledge of the business and their faith in the future of the Sunday newspaper. Much opposition was encountered, and there was prejudice to be overcome. The fact was soon apparent, however, that the Sunday Call was independent, but not neutral; that it was clean an fair; that it was devoted to Newark and Essex County interests, and sought to secure the best government for the people, and the paper's circulation increased from a few hundred to thousands, and advertisers soon made it a favorite medium. It has grown with the growth of Newark, and is now one of the great Sunday newspapers of the country.
The Sunday Call, although published once a week, has all the equipment and facilities of a daily newspaper,. Its offices at 194 Market Street are convenient and its presses, composing room and news methods are modern and efficient. It publishes from twenty to twenty-four pages each Sunday, and to each issue scores of writers contribute. The weekly cost of production is equal to that of many daily newspapers. Among its occasional contributors are eminent clergymen, lawyers, physicians, and business men of the city and vicinity, besides a number of bright women writers. Its advertising columns are filled by representative houses and its 'cent a word' page is a market of industrial activity in itself. The Sunday Call is read each Sunday by at least 1000,000 persons, and it is as much a favorite with one member of the family as another.
While giving general news, but particularly the news of Newark and neighboring towns, the paper has special departments devoted to lodges and social societies, sports, the public schools, building and loan associations, women's clubs, whist, chess and checkers, local politics, churches, and the building interests of the city. It seeks to promote every worthy cause in which the people of New Jersey and especially those of Newark are concerned.
The Sunday Call is printed from linotype machines upon a three-tiered press of largest capacity, and has adopted every approved measure for increasing the efficiency of its plant. Its influence has been recognized throughout this section as potent for good, and its appeal is successfully made to the thinking and practical people of the State. It is identified with every interest of the community in which it is published.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|